Is that time of the year, where families get together, friends celebrate and the holiday spirit is spread all around. We truly wish you are having a joyful holiday season and we raise our glass to your health, life, love and peace…
Talking about toasting, in this post we share our favorite holiday drink. During the upcoming holiday parties, we will be serving this artisanal eggnog that is full of traditional cheer. Learn below how easily it can be done.
This recipe is extremely easy and the result even more rewarding. Aside from the recipe we wanted to give you a few tips on making eggnog:
- Adding alcohol is optional but it gives it a great touch plus allows the raw egg to “cook” in a way, thus lasting longer in your refrigerator (if using 1 to 2 cups of alcohol it can last from several days to a week in a sealed container)
- Non-alcoholic eggnog needs to be consumed within a day.
- A trick to keep eggnog longer without the need to add alcohol is to heat the mixture on medium-low heat on the stove right before refrigerating it. Heating up the mixture just until warm will help cook the eggs, but this will result in a thicker consistency. You will want to pass the mixture through a colander before refrigerating in case you get any egg solids.
- This recipe contains raw eggs. Use very fresh eggs if possible. Note: consuming raw or undercooked eggs can increase your risk for certain food-borne illnesses.
- Keep in mind that eggnog will continue to thicken in the fridge as it ages.
Cheers and have a happy, happy holiday!
- 6 egg yolks
- ¼ cup Hey SHUGA!
- 1 cup condensed milk
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup white or dark rum according to preference (optional)
- Cinnamon sticks
- Nutmeg and cinnamon for serving
- With a silicone spatula stir egg yolks vigorously until they turn pale yellow.
- Add the shuga and keep stirring until the mixture is smooth and creamy.
- Keep stirring all the ingredients together by adding the condensed and evaporated milk.
- Finally add rum or liquor of choice and stir well.
- Add cinnamon sticks to the mixture, cover, and refrigerate over night
- Before serving remove cinnamon sticks.
- Serve chill and sprinkle ground cinnamon and nutmeg to taste.